Monday, May 07, 2007

Je t'aime

The words come from his lips so easily, so readily. Je t'aime. They fall like rose petals on my ears and my heart and I know that they are sincere. I know that he is sincere, and I want to say je t'aime too. But I can't.

Je t'aime

The words don't go any farther than the confines of my mind. I can't say it because I don't know exactly what it means. Yes, I know the translation, but what is it saying? Is it just that I care about you and that I want the best for you? Is it that I'm so grateful to have you in my life? Is it that I appreciate everything you do for me? All of that is true.

Or is it saying something more? Is it locking me into a contract? Does it hold me accountable for certain behavior? What are the expectations of one who makes this proclamation, "Je t'aime?" Does it mean that I will never do you wrong? Does it mean that I will be everything that you want me to be? Does it mean that I should always be willing? Is it a promise?

I don't make promises. I don't know how much of myself I can offer. Could je t'aime just be a vow to do your best? What if I only give 40%, but 50% is my best? Am I lying?

Je sais que je t'aime, mon ange. I just can't tell you.

No comments: