Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Ay, Dios Mio. . .ADM/OMG

Today I had my first spanish exam in my conversation and culture class. I was a little nerviosa, I'll admit. I mean, I'm only 100% confident in my spanish speaking abilities when talking to. . .well, non-spanish speakers. They are always impressed and yes, sometimes when I'm flowing in espanol to a non-speaker I might throw in some words that don't even fit right if I can't find the word I'm looking for. It's true, and they don't know the difference either way lol. However, seeing that this was an oral exam (hence the conversation part of the class), I couldn't very well do that with the teacher. So, she spreads out these notecards and tells me to chose 2, as each are about a different assignment that we've read, and we will discuss one of them. Hm, just so happens that both of the cards I picked I knew JACK about because they were covered before I got to class (since I came 2 weeks later). I picked the card on "fiestas religiosas" because I figured I knew a lil sum' sum' about it, but I was generalizing like a MUG.

"Pick a religious fiesta and describe it"

Ohhhkay. Hmm lets see. Cinco de Mayo? No no. Er, Quincenera? NO. Gah. Ok I know!!! Three King's Day!. Describe it? "Um, well, there is lots of music and dancing. There is food and they exchange gifts." Precision at its best my dears. Not only is it difficult to improvise with little background knowledge, but to do it in Espanol!? She's looking at me, smiling and encouraging and I can see behind her eyes this "She is so BS'ing". Perhaps it was mirrored from my "I am so BS'ing" expression *shrug*.

Thankfully, it somehow came out of mis labios that I wasn't there for this lecture, so she picked a different card that I definately knew about. "Oh Si!!!" And I began to ramble on and on. What a relief. I got a few points taken off for details of the particular events, but I got full points for fluency and articulation. Yeea Boyee!

On another page, while peeping the Vidette today, I came across an article talking about the campus radio station.

"WZND focuses on cultural appreciation" I read, and I'm thinking GREAT!! I'm all about the appreciation of culture. Then I read, ""Because it is Black History Month we wanted to run something with diversity, but we didn't want to only focus on African Americans ".

What are you talking about?! Black History Month is about Black History. While diversity is great, and I definately encourage it, BHM has to do with BLACK history. If you're going to connect your little program with BHM, make it about Black folk. Simple. ADM!

4 comments:

Ola said...

You know in all my knowledge of the spanish culture i dont' remember learning anything about 3 Kings Day. Hey maybe i can get you some 'private' lessons with my old spanish teacher Mr. Espejo...lol. You remember how u and S was talking 'bout how he looks good for an old man..lol

Sonia said...

I am so proud of you!!

Anonymous said...

Ay...felicidades chica! Que significa ADM? Tengo orgullosa de ti! Hasta la vista este fin de semana!

Lyric27 said...

ADM=Ay, Dios Mio!