Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Dream A Little Dream

I hate this dream. Each time I have it, it's so vivid, so real, unlike my other dreams. Reocurring dreams are strange enough in themselves. I used to have the one where I was shrinking. Not just smaller than everyone else, but smaller than everything- to an almost microscopic size. The more anxious and agitated I would become with shrinking, the smaller I would get.

Then there was the floating dream, which was sometimes fun but still scary. I would usually be in a room, lying or sitting down. All of a sudden my body would start to levitate. Only me, noone else in the room would be affected. Before I knew it, I would be headed toward the ceiling and there was nothing that I could do to bring myself down. Just floating like a helium balloon. I would strain and strain and try to tilt my body in a downward direction, anything to come down. Nothing worked, and the more I tried to fight it, the more I would rise. In this dream, I always just wanted to be close to the ground again, to be with everyone else and stand upright on my own two feet. But there I was, floating in the air with no support, no control over my situation. Nothing holding me, just hanging there. I never did fall though.

But this dream is the worst of all. I've had it at least 3 or 4 times in the past few years, and strangely enough when I told my mother about it, she said that she'd had the dream as well. Weird.

I was in London having a great time with this group of people. We were touring, eating, shopping, just enjoying London. At the end of the day, I came back to the flat where I was staying and while running my tongue across my teeth, I noticed that one felt a little loose. Hm, that's strange. I looked in the mirror and wiggled the tooth with my tongue again, and it fell out.

Just fell out. I became very nervous, checking the mirror to see if the loss of this canine tooth would be noticeable if I smiled. My tongue could fit in the gap, but maybe I could wait until I got home to have this checked out. Just then, the tooth next to it broke in half and fell out of my mouth. It fell to my hand and I began to panic. The remainder of the brittle molar began to crumble, and again I ran my tongue against it to get it out. I bumped the tooth next to it, and it began to crumble as well.

My teeth started to crumble and fall out from both the top and bottom rows, and here i was by myself, looking in the mirror, spitting out teeth and bits of teeth into my hand in disbelief. I didn't know what to do! I was too embarrased to talk to anyone about it because I hardly had any teeth, and sharp pieces of tooth littered my tongue and mouth enough to make talking near impossible anyway. I wanted to rinse my mouth. I kept spitting the teeth bits out, but there were too many. I didn't want to risk rinsing my mouth and losing even more.

Should I call my mother? What should I do? I can't go out in public like this! I was so afraid. I knew that if I called my mother she would tell me to go to a local dentist, but I had no dental insurance (besides, who wants to go to a British dentist?). I was stuck by myself with broken teeth in my hand and crumbles in my mouth. I just knew that this time it wasn't a dream.

I snapped awake and checked for my teeth before my eyelids fully opened. Thank God, they were all there. It felt so real that time.

The first time I had the dream and found out that my mother had also been terrorized by it, I immediately went online to find out what it meant. Common interpretations include experiencing a difficult time in having one's voice heard (check), a sense of powerlessness (check), insecurity about personal appearance or ability to financially support onesself, or even fear of being embarrased publicly. Biblically, dreaming of teeth and the loss thereof can indicate that you are putting your trust in the beliefs of man and not in the word of God. I could be guilty of that. boils down to having something to do with insecurity. Everything from insecurity about one's personal appearance to insecurity bout being able to support oneself financially. I am not sure where this apparent insecurity lies for me personally, but I do have a few ideas.

I only like one of these interpretations, and that is the one that states that dreaming of teeth falling out is symbolic of money. Let's just hope it's my money and that I get to keep it! Anyhow, it's a very common dream. As disturbing as it was, at least I'm not alone.

1 comment:

Ola said...

I had the teeth falling out dream also. But they just fell out like in real life. They didn't crumble into pieces. I think it all means there are some major changes coming.

I wonder if anyone has had a dream of their teeth growing back. ^_^


Oh and about my dream, dudes were definitely NOT a 'certain waiter' related...lol *smh*