Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Paulie Baby

Paul Lawrence Dunbar, I love this guy. He's one of the most famous black poets, but you might not have heard of him. well now you have! (these are pieces of works, not whole poems)

He writes about love. . .
Dis hyeah love 's a cu'rus thing,
Changes 'roun' de season,
Meks you sad or meks you sing,
'Dout no urfly reason.
Sometime I go mopin' 'roun',
Den agin I 's leapin';
Sperits allus up an' down
Even when I 's sleepin'.

SEE dis pictyah in my han'?
Dat's my gal;
Ain't she purty? goodness lan'!
Huh name Sal.
Dat's de very way she be --
Kin' o' tickles me to see
Huh a-smilin' back at me.

Often when I 's all alone
Layin' here,
I git t'inkin' bout my own
Sallie dear;
How she say dat I 's huh beau,
An' hit tickles me to know
Dat de gal do love me so.

He writes about feeling depressed
STANNIN' at de winder,
Feelin' kind o' glum,
Listened to de raindrops
Play de kettledrum.

Mandy, bring my banjo,
Bring de chillen in,
Come in f''om de kitchen,
I feel sick ez sin,
Call in Uncle Isaac,
Call Aunt Hannah, too,
Tain't no use in talkin',
Chile, I 's sholy blue!

He writes of siblings
Now you, John Henry, 'tain't no use
To stan' up daih an' mak no 'scuse.
You need n't tink you foolin' me,
I sutny has got eyes to see!
Oh I 's yo' sistah, yes, dat 's true;
But den what good 's dat gwine to do?
Dey ain't no use in tellin' lies,
You look right sheepish f''om yo' eyes!
(this reminded me of Symone)

No comments: