Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Where Have All the Fine Boys Gone?

Wih the thousands of students on ISU campus, one would expect to run into an exceptionally good looking individual at least once a day. Not so. In fact, only today have I seen one such individual, and this is the 4th or 5th week of school! I expected more from this place. . .

But maybe it's just me. Perhaps I have overlooked several individuals deserving of recogniton of thier good looks. (by the way, I give extremely good looking people little recognition because they have usually gotten enough over their lifetime) Perhaps I am too selective in my definitons of "fine-ness", but in any event, my eye-candy needs have not been satisfied.

Another issue. I am considering (just a thought for now ya'll, don't go getting all crazy on me) transferring to another school. ISU is an okay environment, but I am upset about the lack of diversity. Of course, our nation is comprised of mostly whites, but I think I would much more enjoy going to school where there are a variety of faces, values, skin tones, beliefs, and practices. Here at ISU, everybody seems to be the same. Everyone is "one of them". I look around and it upsets me that pretty much everyone looks, acts, and dresses the same way. They have similar frames of reference, and therefore similar outlooks on life. I need more.

I think part of what truly sparked this feeling in me was a comment a teacher made. I have to wonder if this lady has been living under a ROCK for the past several decades. She teaches my Minority Relations class, but of course has no background on the experiences of any minority, except for that of being a female. She said "I recently came across some reasearch that said that even in present times, now in 2005, there are some high schools in Illinois that are as much as 98% Black, and some that are 100% white! I just couldn't believe in this day and age that segregation could still be so strong."

UH DUH LADY!! That's no great revalation, I coulda told you that. Let me take you back to the neighborhood that I came from, where there were no people of any other color but black, and CERTAINLY no whites. As a matter of fact, I only knew a handful of white people growing up (depsite being called a white girl for years), and they were teachers at school. Then let me take you to the Chinese part of the city (yes, specifically Chinese, not Asian), the Polish part, the Jewish part, the Persian part, the Mexican part, the Black part, and the White part. Come back to the real future lady. Not the post-Civil Rights movement-all together in harmony-sing Kumbaya and sway side to side image that may be in your mind.

Sorry.

All I'm sayin is that more diversity would be a wonderful thing to me. I mentioned this to my mother, you know, trying to let her feel involved in my life and stuff, and she flipped. According to her, it doesn't matter who the heck is going to my school, I just need to get my degree and get out, because none of the other students have anything to do with me. When she said that, I wanted to cry because I knew she didn't understand, and wouldn't understand no matter how much I would try to explain and justify, and that it would end up another bitter disagreement of viewpoints like so many others, and all I wanted her to do was understand.

I needed for her to understand because I think she was the first person I had actually talked to about it, and I needed for her to support me, and to know that it can be difficult to learn and live in an environment in which you are uncomfortable and unsatisfied. After all, college is not just about obtaining that degree, but there is a whole social aspect to it (which I tried to explain to no avail. Her theory is that I'm here to get my degree, and that's all I need to be concerned with). I needed her to say "well, have you thought about any schools that would be better?" and not, "Well, what school are you gon' transfer to then??" As if I had already applied and got accepted, while the whole thing is nothing but a thought in my head so far.

*sigh* anyway, just to bring it around full circle, perhaps seeing (and befriending) more cute guys on campus would help me to feel better. I like having cute guy friends, cuz then all the females are jonesing, and I'm like "HIM?? Girl, he ain't nobody, that's just so and so."

Maybe that would help me to feel better.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Liz, I completely understand how you feel. That's another big reason why I didn't go to ISU because everyone is "one of them". I was there for an enrichment program my sophomore year in high school and the people there, black and white, made me feel inferior. And I have yet to see a cute guy there. I'll give you your support on trying to find another school like Knox perhaps or the school of your choice b/c getting your degree is one thing, but getting the degree in an environment that you don't enjoy can be hell. I hope that helps. I have to go so I'll talk to you later.

Sonia said...

I wonder, is there such school for you in Illinois my friend? We must look into this...its a very interesting topic. I've also noticed that when I look at the multitude of students on ISU campus all is see is pink faces and blonde hair. But you know me, I just ignore them all and seek out my black people. Some might say I'm a bit racist for doing that, but I say I wanna be comfortable around others that understand what I need when I'm ashy, people that might know how to fix my hair when I'm just walking around looking wrong. Know where I'm coming from? I'm talking a bit to much for just a comment. So I'ma shut up. Love ya!!

Ola said...

after this morning's discussion on these same topics i think we all just need hugs...preferably from cute guys. umm L where is that one cute friend of yours? umm the poet? *cough* really girl u ain't right for just hidding him like that. LOL ^_^

Toya said...

lol, all the fine boys work out/play b-ball at the Rec Center...that's what i figured out during the 3rd year at my school...