Thursday, September 08, 2005

When Peace Like a River
attendeth my way
when sorrows like sea billows roll
whatever my lot
thou has taught me to say
it is well, it is well with my soul

I love that song, it always encourages me to know that no matter what happens to me, it's really all good in the scheme of things. My Lord is the Prince of Peace and I give him all the thanks and praise for doing wonders in my life.

Before complaining, I really have to look at my whole situation. This black girl, born to a single parent, raised on the south side of Chicago, had plenty of opportunities to amount to NOTHING. Of the people in my neighborhood, I know of only 2 (including myself) who went to college. Many more have children, and are still just hanging around the block.

We didn't have much money growing up, and I can indeed remember a few embarrasing times having to pay for snacks with the food stamps my mother handed me. But I never did go hungry. I can remember lights, phone, and gas all being turned off at one point or another, but I never froze to death, and certainly didn't suffer for not watching tv.

Then we moved to Bloomington, which was the most dramatic [traumatic] event of my life so far. I was separated from everything I'd loved and known, and displaced to a highly unfamiliar and uncomfortable circumstance. My mother, stepfather, little sister and I lived in a ONE BEDROOM APARTMENT for 3 years!! My sister and I alternated between sleeping on a mattress on the floor, a futon, and the couch. God still blessed. We found a wonderful church home, and I began to meet people who would make amazing changes in my life.

High School, hated it. Nevertheless it was a blessing. I recieved a decent education, and encountered a few teachers who made a difference in my life, and could see through my uninterest in school enough to know that I had plenty of untapped potential. I took trips (Florida, London, Scotland) FOR FREE. I won awards (though I probably never had above a C average) I recieved a SCHOLARSHIP (that is paying for my tuition today), God blessed, and I went on to college.

My first day of college, and I run into a woman who I met my freshman or sophmore year of high school, and she tells me about a Student Support Services (TRIO) program called Project Rise. I joined, and it definately had an impact on my college success. I referred to the woman as my "school mother", because she was the one to give me the educational advice, guidance, and support that I know my mother would have, had she gone to college.

I made it through that school, earning my Associate's degree (though it is a small one, I am proud to say I have a degree ya'll. don't take my joy lol. . .) and am now at Illinois State University. My mother and family are proud of me, My pastor and his wife are proud of me, and the people who helped me along the way are proud as well. I am proud too, I'm here a Junior in college! It still feels weird to say it.

I have had more than my share of opportunities to fail (including the time when I wanted to drop out of high school at 16 and get my G.E.D.) but I didn't. God has kept me strong on every level, and has been with me every step of the way. I can't complain.

Sure, I don't have any books and my bank account is in the whole. Sure, there's so many things (materially) that I feel like I need. Sure, I deal with my share (maybe more than my share?) of issues, but I cannot let them hold me down. "still I rise" I WILL NOT let them hold me down. I am headed toward the top, and I'm taking it step by step. In a few years, you will be getting an invitation to my graduation in which I will be presented with a fake bachelor's degree (but the real one will be in the mail ya'll!) And THEN, a short while after that, get ready for the presentation of that Master's degree. Perhaps a Doctorate to follow??

Elizabeth Robinson, Ph.D

Ohhh yes, that looks good.

3 comments:

Toya said...

girl, your story is very inspirational, especially to those whop probably feel liek they can't make it....that's right giving God praises, because he brought you thru....i understand that one bedroom thing...me, my mama, and brother in a one bedroom until i was in 12th grade...then we moved to a 2bedrooma nd i got the room, finally my own room...but before then my parents there married...then divorced, so we lived about 10 other family members in a 2 bedrooms...thent he one bedroom witht he 3 of us...but yea...keep doing ya thing girl! i wish you much success!

Ola said...

One word, MESSAGE!

That Ph.D does look good next to your name.

Sonia said...

Yes we are proud of you. I do have to admit at some points along the way I felt it would of been easier to just give up on you. But know that I will never do that. Out of you me and Tura we have to make it!! No excuses, no questions asked. You hold me up, I hold you up, you hold Tura up, I hold Tura up, Tura hold me up, Tura hold you up. (Did you understand any of that?) Anyway we'll make it if we stick to that system.