Tuesday, January 20, 2004

So, lately I've been thinking about going vegetarian again. I was one in 7th and 8th grade, but I stopped, not for any particular reason, just because I guess it was getting old. Even now, I don't eat much meat. I "don't partake of the swine" and the only beef I eat is ground beef (think-McDonald's cheeseburger). I dunno, just something I'm throwing around in my mind.

Did you ever reach for the glued-down penny?
Same old joke and it's not funny
Burns are red, bruises blue
Out with the old cheated by the new
-Chumbawumba (i believe)

Why, yes, I actually have. Well, in my case it was a quarter, so does that make it any better? Now, I must say that it is indeed a cruel joke to glue money to the ground and watch as people try to pick it up, not knowing it won't budge.

It was a hot summer day, I was walking along the streets of Normal, visiting different shops, and spending leisure time with my mother. Then I saw it-the small metal circle lying idly on the ground. As I drew closer, I could see that this circle was something special. Not something you normally see lying idly by. Behold-A quarter! Twenty five sweet cents all for me, Oh happy day! Nearing the coin, I imagined all the possibilities of my newfound spending power. Bus fare to some faraway destination (say, the mall), a pack of gum? Perhaps even a Little Debbie snack to please my tounge and stomach. Whichever should I choose??? Standing over the quarter, I knew I'd have plenty of time to decide. I bent over anxiously, and began to pick up the quarter with such anticipation, only to find, it would not move. Not even for me! My heart sank into my stomach, my face warmed with embarrassment and my eyes swelled with tears of dissapointment. No quarter for me.

This, my friends, was last summer.

No comments: