Monday, April 05, 2004

Hey, I'm 18 years old okay?

The church traveled yesterday, we went to Springfield. It was nice, the choir sang, the praise dancers danced, the preacher preached etc. The service was ending and the pastor of the church said "I want all the young people, age 18 and under, to come gather around the altar so we can pray over you." Me and Sonia, both being pretty much freshly out of that age bracket, are sitting in our seats like "Hah, 18 and under. . . younguns." The pastor repeats it a couple more times, then all the young people were finally up there, the rest of the congregation sitting down. Then he points directly to Sonia and me, and says, "You two, how old are you?"
Sonia: 19
Me: 18
Him: How old??
Me: 18, 19 [respectively]
Him: Naw, Naw, Naw, ya'll look like you're about 12 years old, come on up here.

Straight Bogishness, how he gon' play us like that? My mother was crackin up, but you know, I didn't see the funny part. No, I didn't. Twelve? My sister is 12. So here we are, me and Sonia, two just-about-grown-folks, standin up here with all these kiddies. Not right I tell ya, not right.

Then after the service, we were all fellowshipping and what not, and thats all I could keep my mind on. People were even coming up to us talking about "It's ok, you'll appreciate that when you're older." This may very well be the case, but you know what? I'm not older! Telling me I look 12 years old is not exactly a compliment. But, it was all good.

No comments: