Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Black Like Me by NaKeith

You don't want to be black like me?
But you wanna act like me,
Play in the NFL and get quarterback sacks like me,
You wanna play B-ball and take it to the rack like me,
You don't wanna be black like me?
But you want to get tanned skin like me,
Be able to walk in a room full of ethnic diversity and blend like me,
You want to be able to move this pen like me,
Still be able to hold your head high after going through all kinds of adversity,
You don't want to be black like me?
Are you being harrased by the police because you drive a 1974 Cadillac like me?
But you still choose to wear your pants with a little more slack like me,
Thinking you is cool because you wear platinum jewelry,
But you will never see that there is more than being black than that to me,
Being black is having pride in our history,
Knowing that people fought and bled for the rights that we take as a luxury,
For some reason I feel lke you cannot see the tragedy that we call African American history,
From Kings and Queens to this,
Black like me but you wants to resist,
Pissed because you are what you are and I am what I am,
But stop being pissed, be a man, and take a stand,
For this is your land, this is our land, from the country back roads of Savannah, Georgia to the amusement parks of Coney Island,
So you still don't want to be black like me?
But I say that you are you just need to take a look at your family tree.
Black like me.

No comments: