Saturday, February 28, 2004

I had a pleasant surprise tonight. I had fallen asleep on the couch while watching the Chappelle Show when I heard the screen to the porch open and the bell ring. Who could this be at 9pm?? Therese!! My beautiful friend, home from college on Spring Break. Ok, I still don't get why her spring break begins in February but, sure. We were on a search for someplace to go and have coffee. Steak n Shake was packed. Baker's Square had a waiting list, what's with that? So we went to The Coffehouse (does that place have a real name?) and chilled. I had an iced mocha; it's starting to kick in. Anyway, I absolutely love the atmosphere of The Coffehouse because it has such a laid-back and intimate feel. It's not all uppity and proper, its one of those places you can go to and just be. Good times, good times.

"I’m not that same stupid freshman you met 6 years ago…"
"I know, that's why I picked up some college applications for you"
"You really think I'm college material? I always wanted to go to one of those Poison Ivy League schools…"

Lately I've been getting frustrated with my poetry. It seems like I can never get the words to come out like I want them to, they can't express how I feel. And, other people tend to get different interpretations of what I intend to say. For example, the line
You are very….
Yummy, like a cherry
Is that sexual? Well, it's not supposed to be sexual in the least bit. When I think of something being yummy, I think of it giving you a good warm feeling, delightful, and if something is yummy, it's definitely made just right for you. Yummy, like a heartfelt hug can be yummy. Do you get where I'm coming from? If not, that’s where my frustration comes from. I can't effectively open up the window to my mind and show others what it is that I really mean or feel. There is always some strange shade or set of blinds in the way.

No comments: